Wiktionary:Simple talk/Archive 19

From Wiktionary
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Contents

Mobile view as default view coming soon[change]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it, as well as the instructions on Meta)

The mobile view of this project and others will soon become the default view on mobile devices (except tablets). Some language versions of these projects currently show no content on the mobile home page, and it is a good time to do a little formatting so users get a mobile-friendly view, or to add to existing mobile content if some already exists.

If you are an administrator, please consider helping with this change. There are instructions which are being translated. The proposed date of switching the default view is June 21.

To contact the mobile team, email mobile-feedback-lAt sign.svglists.wikimedia.org.

--Phil Inje Chang, Product Manager, Mobile, Wikimedia Foundation 08:35, 16 June 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

And just a notice: I create the mobile page with just a simple welcome message. We (sadly) do not have any of the content that the mobile team expects us to have on the mobile page. --Hydriz (talk) 09:16, 17 July 2012 (UTC)

Proper Names[change]

Do we want to allow for proper names, such as Niralee to be added to the Simple English Wiktionary? I'm kind of opposed to the idea for the moment because we have plenty of other things we should be doing, such as getting entries for some of the more common English words added to the Simple Wiktionary, but I'm interested to know what others think about this? Razorflame 23:31, 27 June 2012 (UTC)

Well, if they exist, we just leave them, I'd say. As long as they don't get too many... They are deleted quickly anyway if needed. -Barras talk 13:41, 16 July 2012 (UTC)

Help decide about more than $10 million of Wikimedia donations in the coming year[change]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)

Hi,

As many of you are aware, the Wikimedia Board of Trustees recently initiated important changes in the way that money is being distributed within the Wikimedia movement. As part of this, a new community-led "Funds Dissemination Committee" (FDC) is currently being set up. Already in 2012-13, its recommendations will guide the decisions about the distribution of over 10 million US dollars among the Foundation, chapters and other eligible entities.

Now, seven capable, knowledgeable and trustworthy community members are sought to volunteer on the initial Funds Dissemination Committee. It is expected to take up its work in September. In addition, a community member is sought to be the Ombudsperson for the FDC process. If you are interested in joining the committee, read the call for volunteers. Nominations are planned to close on August 15.

--Anasuya Sengupta, Director of Global Learning and Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation 20:24, 19 July 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

botflag request[change]

I hereby request the Bot flag for User:YS-Bot for the following purpose: Interwiki. The bot uses the pywikipedia/interwiki.py framework. Best regards --Yoursmile (talk) 11:57, 12 August 2012 (UTC)

Yes check.svgY Approved for test edits. Please make 100 test edits from this bot before we can determine whether it functions well and flag it. Thanks! --Hydriz (talk) 13:49, 12 August 2012 (UTC)
You are a crat here and can approve bots and test edits? News to me. -Barras talk 05:08, 13 August 2012 (UTC)
Hi guys. I guess I made enough test edits. Please evaluate. If you need further information/test edits, just tell me. Best regards --Yoursmile (talk) 11:15, 13 August 2012 (UTC)
Point made Barras, didn't notice that admins can't change bot rights... Hope I didn't break anything? --Hydriz (talk) 12:36, 13 August 2012 (UTC)
  • Yes check.svgY Flagged and approved for the interwiki task. -Barras talk 19:19, 13 August 2012 (UTC)
Many thanks. Have a nice day --Yoursmile (talk) 20:24, 13 August 2012 (UTC)

Should we get a bot to archive various Wiktionary-space pages?[change]

As of now, this page, Requests for deletion, etc. are archived manually; threads are often left up months after they've been resolved or died out for lack of response. Should we get assign a bot to do 30-day archive of Wiktionary-space pages? Purplebackpack89 (talk) 22:40, 14 August 2012 (UTC)

Unneeded. Then our pages would look empty. Doing that by hand isn't that much work. -Barras talk 14:00, 16 August 2012 (UTC)
The bot used on Simple English Wikipedia is MiszaBot. It can be parametrized to do archiveals in reguar intervals. It can also be parametrized to leave a minimum number of entries on a page, so they don't look empty. --Eptalon (talk) 10:46, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
I would side with Barras on this point. Although we can have a bot to archive the older entries and leave some on the page itself, but I think its best to have someone doing this manually so that perhaps someone who wants to start archiving some old threads in many pages finds an old thread that needs more community input, and then asks on Simple Talk. --Hydriz (talk) 10:50, 26 August 2012 (UTC)

Closing project proposal[change]

Dear community!

I have made a closing project proposal on this wiki. Greetings, --Vogone (talk) 16:11, 21 August 2012 (UTC)

Just noting here that this proposal has failed. --Hydriz (talk) 14:35, 26 September 2012 (UTC)

More templates for page creation[change]

Hello, I am relatively new here, I just wondered if it would be possible to get more templates for page creation, namely:

  • Prefix / Suffix
  • Preposition

All the best --Eptalon (talk) 10:55, 26 August 2012 (UTC)

Hmm, these templates are already available :)

Perhaps you didn't notice they were there, like for inter- which you created. --Hydriz (talk) 10:58, 26 August 2012 (UTC)

as I said, my being on wiktionary is relatively new...--Eptalon (talk) 11:00, 26 August 2012 (UTC)
Just created something to make that easier. Going to expand the search menu stuff soon. -Barras talk 11:05, 26 August 2012 (UTC)

JS error[change]

I believe I am not the only one, but the page evidence is throwing Javascript errors, resulting in the Synonyms sub-section being shown without a toggle link. Console output reads:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'indexOf' of null

Does anyone in the community knows how to fix this? I am very suspicious about this recent change as the toggling of synonyms/antonyms have something to do with cookies... --Hydriz (talk) 14:21, 29 August 2012 (UTC)

Rusilik0 only removed some obsolete stuff from our common.js, which looks unrelated. I edited other MediaWiki pages which are even more unrelated. Maybe this is due to some new kind of software or so. When I see hoo on IRC I will ask him for help as he fixed the synonym thing before. -Barras talk 15:22, 29 August 2012 (UTC)
It was indeed Rusilik0's changes which broke it, he must have overlooked that. Fixed with (1) - Hoo man (talk) 18:45, 29 August 2012 (UTC)
Thanks hoo! :) --Hydriz (talk) 08:09, 30 August 2012 (UTC)

Legal Fees Assistance Program[change]

Hello. The Wikimedia Foundation is asking people to join a discussion on a proposed program that could help some users who might be named in legal actions because of their work on the projects. The users protected are those in "support" roles, like administrators, OTRS agents, checkusers, etc. We want to be sure you know about this and have a chance to join the discussion. Please help get the word out on your project about this discussion. (If you'd like to help translating the "request for comment", program policy or other pages into another language and don't know how the translation system works, please come by my user talk page at m:User talk:Mdennis (WMF). I'll be happy to help or find help.) Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF) (talk) 15:41, 5 September 2012 (UTC)

Wikidata is getting close to a first roll-out[change]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.)

As some of you might already have heard Wikimedia Deutschland is working on a new Wikimedia project. It is called m:Wikidata. The goal of Wikidata is to become a central data repository for the Wikipedias, its sister projects and the world. In the future it will hold data like the number of inhabitants of a country, the date of birth of a famous person or the length of a river. These can then be used in all Wikimedia projects and outside of them.

The project is divided into three phases and "we are getting close to roll-out the first phase". The phases are:

  1. language links in the Wikipedias (making it possible to store the links between the language editions of an article just once in Wikidata instead of in each linked article)
  2. infoboxes (making it possible to store the data that is currently in infoboxes in one central place and share the data)
  3. lists (making it possible to create lists and similar things based on queries to Wikidata so they update automatically when new data is added or modified)

It'd be great if you could join us, test the demo version, provide feedback and take part in the development of Wikidata. You can find all the relevant information including an FAQ and sign-up links for our on-wiki newsletter on the Wikidata page on Meta.

For further discussions please use this talk page (if you are uncomfortable writing in English you can also write in your native language there) or point me to the place where your discussion is happening so I can answer there.

--Lydia Pintscher 13:37, 10 September 2012 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Upcoming software changes - please report any problems[change]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)

All Wikimedia wikis - including this one - will soon be upgraded with new and possibly disruptive code. This process starts today and finishes on October 24 (see the upgrade schedule & code details).

Please watch for problems with:

  • revision diffs
  • templates
  • CSS and JavaScript pages (like user scripts)
  • bots
  • PDF export
  • images, video, and sound, especially scaling sizes
  • the CologneBlue skin

If you notice any problems, please report problems at our defect tracker site. You can test for possible problems at test2.wikipedia.org and mediawiki.org, which have already been updated.

Thanks! With your help we can find problems fast and get them fixed faster.

Sumana Harihareswara, Wikimedia Foundation Engineering Community Manager (talk) 03:12, 16 October 2012 (UTC)

P.S.: For the regular, smaller MediaWiki updates every two weeks, please watch this schedule.

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Fix here.)

Fundraising localization: volunteers from outside the USA needed[change]

Please translate for your local community

Hello All,

The Wikimedia Foundation's Fundraising team have begun our 'User Experience' project, with the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries outside the USA and enhancing the localization of our donation pages. I am searching for volunteers to spend 30 minutes on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.

The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real-time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)

By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. Please sing up and help us with our 'User Experience' project! :) If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email ppena@wikimedia.org. All countries needed (excepting USA)!

Thanks!
Pats Pena
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

Sent using Global message delivery, 17:18, 17 October 2012 (UTC)

problem with QD template?[change]

Is there a problem with the QD template. Adding the notice does not bring it up on the recent changes, so some requests have not been seen by admins. Eg moracked which I listed a couple of weeks ago. --Peterdownunder (talk) 04:01, 29 November 2012 (UTC)

It seems that you have to add the QD cat manually to pages. Is this correct?--Peterdownunder (talk) 11:10, 30 November 2012 (UTC)
I've started looking into it, I'll have to finish in the week, though.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  04:47, 9 December 2012 (UTC)
That would be excellent. --Peterdownunder (talk) 04:58, 9 December 2012 (UTC)
The problem is that there are two Delete templates; {{Delete}} and {{delete}} (with lowercase). The {{Delete}} works fine, but should be merged with the other one. Savh (talk) 21:15, 9 December 2012 (UTC)
shall use the upper case, thanks --Peterdownunder (talk) 21:56, 9 December 2012 (UTC)
I noticed this during my checks. I'll be merging them, redirecting the uppercase to the lowercase, and have {{Db-meta}} deleted.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  03:16, 12 December 2012 (UTC)
Is there a way for items awaiting QD to come up as a number on the menu on recent changes (like on the simple English wikipedia) so that admins can see at a glance if there are things to be done? --Peterdownunder (talk) 03:59, 12 December 2012 (UTC)
Add {{PAGESINCAT:Quick deletion requests}} wherever you want to see the number— Wiktionary:Recent Changes I guess. Osiris (talk) 16:23, 15 December 2012 (UTC)
You guessed correctly. Now installed, thankyou.--Peterdownunder (talk) 21:15, 16 December 2012 (UTC)

Translations and other languages[change]

The Simple English Wiktionary is aimed at people who are not fluent in English. This includes people who are learning English. I think that having translations on entries would be a good way to explain complicated words. In adittion, someone may come here looking for a translation of a word in another language and will search for it, but we currently only have English pages. Is there any reason for this other than "there are no other simple wikis"? Thanks, πr2 (talk • changes) 04:27, 20 December 2012 (UTC)

What I vaguely remember, is that we are just creating only English pages as this is a Wiktionary in Simple English, and that there is a lot of work we can do in creating those English entries. The option of creating entries in another language will be considered in the future when we have more entries. If we can start choosing now, I would +1 on having translations to existing pages and allow the creations of entries that explain words in a different language. --Hydriz (talk) 08:48, 20 December 2012 (UTC)

Wiktionary:Deletion[change]

Hello, I'd like to know if everyone else agree with these changes. Thanks.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  22:56, 26 December 2012 (UTC)

Biggest change: T1 used to be for templates that are "insulting or hateful" and now is for "deprecated or replaced" templates. πr2 (talk • changes) 03:07, 27 December 2012 (UTC)
The changes mainly involved simplification of the page. The main change pointed out by PiRSquared17 should be okay, though I am more in favour of keeping the old reason for T1 and create a new reason category for "deprecated or replaced" templates. --Hydriz (talk) 07:12, 27 December 2012 (UTC)
When I changed it I was considering it to be a mistake initially, but I noticed it in Twinkle and decided that either it was and noone noticed or it was just how it was intended. However, using the older version, G10 would be applicable in any of those cases.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  00:43, 28 December 2012 (UTC)

{{synonyms}} and {{antonyms}}[change]

Hello, I have two queries re these templates:

  1. I believe the font size it too small. The words appear jumbled. Should the default size be larger so the words "Synonyms" and "Antonyms" (respectively) are more easily read?
  2. In the case of one set of synonyms or antonyms for a "section", for example, a set for part of speech for a word, where should the templates be used? For the first definition in the section, last definition, etc.?

Thanks.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  22:45, 28 December 2012 (UTC)

Agree fully, especially with the font size, I struggle to read it on the screen.--Peterdownunder (talk) 22:58, 28 December 2012 (UTC)
need to re-send word entry for Wiktionary. AFTER registering as new member. As I decided to become member after sending: (a) in my hopes of better monitoring access, of possible approval of my entry. (b) be it that my entry be accepted by Wiktionary. This unsigned comment was added by Bonomind (talk • contribs) .

Be a Wikimedia fundraising "User Experience" volunteer![change]

Thank you to everyone who volunteered last year on the Wikimedia fundraising 'User Experience' project. We have talked to many different people in different countries and their feedback has helped us immensely in restructuring our pages. If you haven't heard of it yet, the 'User Experience' project has the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries (outside the USA) and enhancing the localization of our donation pages.

I am (still) searching for volunteers to spend some time on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.

The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. **All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be very low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)**

By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email ppena@wikimedia.org. All countries needed (excepting USA)!!

Thanks!

Pats Pena
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation

Sent using Global message delivery, 21:16, 8 January 2013 (UTC)

Global sysop usage[change]

I believe such a discussion isn't necessary, but I would like to add this note to have the community add their input on this matter. Recently, there was an incident regarding the abuse of the Global sysop tool (although it was resolved later on with a resolution of limiting the use of global sysop tools on this wiki). However, not a large part of the community was involved in the decision-making process, and I would like to garner some valuable feedback on this issue (after some significant discussion on a user's talk page on Meta).

What is going to happen regarding the use of global sysop tools, is to really enforce the rule of leaving non-emergency administrative tasks to the local sysops to handle it. There already is a note on the deletion page to tell the global sysops and stewards that they should only delete a page/block a user in an event of an emergency (such as persistent vandalism by the same author after warnings are given), but apparently this note is ignored by the passing global sysops and pages still get deleted. This is sometimes bad because the page in question might actually contain legitimate content, though it may be badly formatted to look more like vandalism for those global sysops that are not familiar with the local policies here. Rather, such pages should go through the usual RfD process so that the larger community can come and comment on whether or not to keep the page. Deleting the page immediately may drive away potential contributors, which is a trend that we are trying to reverse on this wiki.

Long story short, what I am trying to propose here, is to really tell the global sysops/stewards that they should instead tag pages with {{delete}} if it is not an emergency (and really enforce it). I don't intend to get this wiki out of the scope of global sysops (since most of the time they do a good job in helping to maintain this wiki), but to only allow the usage of the tools in the event of an emergency or under authorization by a local administrator. What do you think? --Hydriz (talk) 09:43, 16 January 2013 (UTC)

Yes, I support your opinion as well. What isn't an emergency, the local community can take care of it. Global sysops are quite helpful, but, some aren't aware of the community decisions, guidelines, and policies.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  04:23, 23 January 2013 (UTC)
I (as a part of the community, not just as a GS) support this proposal. I don't think blocking violators is necessary, but maybe local admins should carefully review all GS actions and revert where appropriate (and warn the GS). I may be a bit of a hypocrite because I did something which wasn't exactly "urgent" (creating an AbuseFilter), but at least it works. I also deleted Gsthae-with-tempo!, but that was simply another "teddy eye" created by a long-term vandal because "siphoning has no heralds". πr2 (talk • changes) 22:17, 23 January 2013 (UTC)
Any more comments? πr2 (talk • changes) 03:41, 3 February 2013 (UTC)
I also support this. Thanks for the bump, PiRSquared17. Arbitrarily0 (talk) 19:31, 3 February 2013 (UTC)

Wikimedia sites to move to primary data center in Ashburn, Virginia. Read-only mode expected.[change]

(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) Next week, the Wikimedia Foundation will transition its main technical operations to a new data center in Ashburn, Virginia, USA. This is intended to improve the technical performance and reliability of all Wikimedia sites, including this wiki. There will be some times when the site will be in read-only mode, and there may be full outages; the current target windows for the migration are January 22nd, 23rd and 24th, 2013, from 17:00 to 01:00 UTC (see other timezones on timeanddate.com). More information is available in the full announcement.

If you would like to stay informed of future technical upgrades, consider becoming a Tech ambassador and joining the ambassadors mailing list. You will be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.

Thank you for your help and your understanding.

Guillaume Paumier, via the Global message delivery system (wrong page? You can fix it.). 15:40, 19 January 2013 (UTC)

Picture of the Year voting round 1 open[change]

Dear Wikimedians,

Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2012 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We're interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2012. Voting is open to established Wikimedia users who meet the following criteria:

  1. Users must have an account, at any Wikimedia project, which was registered before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC].
  2. This user account must have more than 75 edits on any single Wikimedia project before Tue, 01 Jan 2013 00:00:00 +0000 [UTC]. Please check your account eligibility at the POTY 2012 Contest Eligibility tool.
  3. Users must vote with an account meeting the above requirements either on Commons or another SUL-related Wikimedia project (for other Wikimedia projects, the account must be attached to the user's Commons account through SUL).

Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.

For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.

To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2012 page on Wikimedia Commons.

Wikimedia Commons celebrates our featured images of 2012 with this contest. Your votes decide the Picture of the Year, so remember to vote in the first round by January 30, 2013.

Thanks,
the Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee

This message was delivered based on m:Distribution list/Global message delivery. Translation fetched from: commons:Commons:Picture of the Year/2012/Translations/Village Pump/en -- Rillke (talk) 23:58, 22 January 2013 (UTC)


Interface problems[change]

We seem to be having problems with our sidebar. I've reported this bug here. Feel free to comment on it.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  03:07, 30 January 2013 (UTC)

Seems to be the interface in general.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  04:36, 30 January 2013 (UTC)
Thanks for that Hazard-SJ. The problem actually lies with the language setting that we are currently in, which seems to be set to English (en) as you can see in your preferences (if you left it as the default). I suspect that this has something to do with the data-center migration that Wikimedia just had recently, though I can't confirm this for sure. --Hydriz (talk) 10:52, 30 January 2013 (UTC)
And this has been fixed. --Hydriz (talk) 14:36, 2 March 2013 (UTC)

Help turn ideas into grants in the new IdeaLab[change]

Wikimedia Foundation RGB logo with text.svg

I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.

  • Do you have an idea for a project to improve this community or website?
  • Do you think you could complete your idea if only you had some funding?
  • Do you want to help other people turn their ideas into project plans or grant proposals?

Please join us in the IdeaLab, an incubator for project ideas and Individual Engagement Grant proposals.

The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking new ideas and proposals for Individual Engagement Grants. These grants fund individuals or small groups to complete projects that help improve this community. If interested, please submit a completed proposal by February 15, 2013. Please visit https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG for more information.

Thanks! --Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 20:50, 30 January 2013 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery. (Wrong page? Correct it here.)

New About page[change]

I changed our about page so that it looks more attractive to newcomers. I didn't call for any community input since there isn't much on the original about page, so I just went ahead to make some changes. I apologize if the source code is quite messy, but what matters is the output. Hope you guys like it! --Hydriz (talk) 14:19, 11 February 2013 (UTC)

Looks good :) --Peterdownunder (talk) 03:36, 13 February 2013 (UTC)
Agreed. Well done indeed! Arbitrarily0 (talk) 01:05, 12 April 2013 (UTC)

Convert complex templates to Lua to make them faster and more powerful[change]

(Please consider translating this message for the benefit of your fellow Wikimedians)

Greetings. As you might have seen on the Wikimedia tech blog or the tech ambassadors list, a new functionality called "Lua" is being enabled on all Wikimedia sites today. Lua is a scripting language that enables you to write faster and more powerful MediaWiki templates.

If you have questions about how to convert existing templates to Lua (or how to create new ones), we'll be holding two support sessions on IRC next week: one on Wednesday (for Oceania, Asia & America) and one on Friday (for Europe, Africa & America); see m:IRC office hours for the details. If you can't make it, you can also get help at mw:Talk:Lua scripting.

If you'd like to learn about this kind of events earlier in advance, consider becoming a Tech ambassador by subscribing to the mailing list. You will also be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.

Guillaume Paumier, via the Global message delivery system. 20:21, 13 March 2013 (UTC) (wrong page? You can fix it.)

How to speak english[change]

I know a little bit English i can understand well but i can't speak well so how can i speak well ?

Hi! Welcome to the Simple English Wiktionary! The English used here is simplified so it should be easier for you to understand. There are many ways to improve your English, reading the Simple English Wiktionary and Simple English Wikipedia are two of them! You may want to take an English Class, or get a tutor if you are very interested in learning the language. Welcome! Tofutwitch11 (talk) 23:23, 19 March 2013 (UTC)

The Simple Barnstar[change]

I have made a new barnstar, The Simple Barnstar, just for use in the Simple English projects. You can find details at Template:Barnstar. StevenJ81 (talk) 15:11, 20 March 2013 (UTC)

Thanks, StevenJ81, for your note. Best regards, Arbitrarily0 (talk) 01:04, 12 April 2013 (UTC)

Proposal of a pronunciation recording tool[change]

Hello, Rahul21, a developer, offers to develop a pronunciation recording tool for Wiktionary, helped by Michael Dale as part of GSoC. The tool would allow to record and add audio pronunciations to Wiktionary entries while browsing them (see background discussion on Wiktionary-l). Please read and comment the proposal! Regards, Nemo 22:43, 9 April 2013 (UTC)

Request for comment on inactive administrators[change]

(Please consider translating this message for the benefit of your fellow Wikimedians. Please also consider translating the proposal.)

Read this message in English / Lleer esti mensaxe n'asturianu / বাংলায় এই বার্তাটি পড়ুন / Llegiu aquest missatge en català / Læs denne besked på dansk / Lies diese Nachricht auf Deutsch / Leś cal mesag' chè in Emiliàn / Leer este mensaje en español / Lue tämä viesti suomeksi / Lire ce message en français / Ler esta mensaxe en galego / हिन्दी / Pročitajte ovu poruku na hrvatskom / Baca pesan ini dalam Bahasa Indonesia / Leggi questo messaggio in italiano / ಈ ಸಂದೇಶವನ್ನು ಕನ್ನಡದಲ್ಲಿ ಓದಿ / Aqra dan il-messaġġ bil-Malti / norsk (bokmål) / Lees dit bericht in het Nederlands / Przeczytaj tę wiadomość po polsku / Citiți acest mesaj în română / Прочитать это сообщение на русском / Farriintaan ku aqri Af-Soomaali / Pročitaj ovu poruku na srpskom (Прочитај ову поруку на српском) / อ่านข้อความนี้ในภาษาไทย / Прочитати це повідомлення українською мовою / Đọc thông báo bằng tiếng Việt / 使用中文阅读本信息。

Hello!

There is a new request for comment on Meta-Wiki concerning the removal of administrative rights from long-term inactive Wikimedians. Generally, this proposal from stewards would apply to wikis without an administrators' review process.

We are also compiling a list of projects with procedures for removing inactive administrators on the talk page of the request for comment. Feel free to add your project(s) to the list if you have a policy on administrator inactivity.

All input is appreciated. The discussion may close as soon as 21 May 2013 (2013-05-21), but this will be extended if needed.

Thanks, Billinghurst (thanks to all the translators!) 05:18, 24 April 2013 (UTC)

Distributed via Global message delivery (Wrong page? You can fix it.)

Are we supposed to use simple English on talk pages?[change]

Greetings. I have a question: Are we supposed to use simple English when we are changing talk pages? Also, are there specific rules as for what is considered simple English and what is not? Thanks. TeragR (talk) 22:08, 25 April 2013 (UTC)

Hello, it is better to use Simple English, because many people using the Simple English Wiktionary might not understand English very well. We have lists such as Wiktionary:Simple English word list that group some of the words.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  03:04, 26 April 2013 (UTC)
Agree with Hazard. But if you can't find a "simple" way to say something in talk, say it anyway. Everyone will help. Most important to use only Simple English in definitions. StevenJ81 (talk) 15:44, 30 May 2013 (UTC)

[en] Change to wiki account system and account renaming[change]

Some accounts will soon be renamed due to a technical change that the developer team at Wikimedia are making. More details on Meta.

(Distributed via global message delivery 04:07, 30 April 2013 (UTC). Wrong page? Correct it here.)

[en] Change to section edit links[change]

The default position of the "edit" link in page section headers is going to change soon. The "edit" link will be positioned adjacent to the page header text rather than floating opposite it.

Section edit links will be to the immediate right of section titles, instead of on the far right. If you're an editor of one of the wikis which already implemented this change, nothing will substantially change for you; however, scripts and gadgets depending on the previous implementation of section edit links will have to be adjusted to continue working; however, nothing else should break even if they are not updated in time.

Detailed information and a timeline is available on meta.

Ideas to do this all the way to 2009 at least. It is often difficult to track which of several potential section edit links on the far right is associated with the correct section, and many readers and anonymous or new editors may even be failing to notice section edit links at all, since they read section titles, which are far away from the links.

(Distributed via global message delivery 18:57, 30 April 2013 (UTC). Wrong page? Correct it here.)

Creation script problem[change]

I have found that the Conrad.Irwin creation script has stopped working. Anyone else having the same problem?--Peterdownunder (talk) 23:35, 10 May 2013 (UTC)

Try importing mine. I implemented some fix on the script (though I can't remember exactly what). --Hydriz (talk) 13:14, 11 May 2013 (UTC)
It is only working partly - I get the missing links in green, but when I go to the page none of the information has been added the way it did before.--Peterdownunder (talk) 21:45, 11 May 2013 (UTC)
You have to wait a while before it loads, and did you clear your browser's cache? --Hydriz (talk) 00:56, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
Given it three minutes (it was coming up almost instantly before) and nothing. Cache cleared. Still not working.--Peterdownunder (talk) 12:27, 12 May 2013 (UTC)
That's weird, I have it working and could create the child pages for depict. --Hydriz (talk) 08:07, 13 May 2013 (UTC)
Weirder still, it still does not work, even if I use a different browser. Hmmmm.--Peterdownunder (talk) 21:42, 14 May 2013 (UTC)
Located problem, it clashes with Twinkle.--Peterdownunder (talk) 06:18, 23 May 2013 (UTC)

Search completion[change]

Why does it suggest terms like "faux-amis" and "néapolitains" for which we have no entry? πr2 (talk • changes) 22:49, 13 May 2013 (UTC)

And to add to that, those entries have never been started here.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  04:14, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
Strange. Any idea what causes it? PiRSquared17 (talk) 02:15, 31 May 2013 (UTC)
No. It shouldn't be in cache since it never existed, so I really don't know what to think. Maybe a bug should be filed?  Hazard-SJ  ✈  06:41, 1 June 2013 (UTC)

need consultant for grant[change]

We are undertaking the development of a free multimedia English dictionary (Dictionary 3.0) that will allow students to look up words on the fly as they are reading, anytime, anywhere. Such support is very important and useful as a major factor affecting reading comprehension is vocabulary knowledge. The dictionary will be cross-platform and accessible on all devices (phones, tablets, PCs…). Currently, the prototype works in Chrome on a PC, safari on a mac, and on an iPad/iPhone. To see a sample entry go to http://smartdictionary.imtc.gatech.edu/index.html and type in “spooky”. Then click on the thumbnail in the left corner to see the full entry for “spooky”. You should see the words “Spooky”, a definition and sample sentence, and a video that illustrates the sample sentence. Also try "snob". I am looking for a consultant with dictionary credibility to add to a grant. An academic or industry person who worked on a kid or school dictionary would be best. Hope someone can help. To see a sample of the dictionary go to Harley Hamilton, PhD Senior Research Scientist School of Interactive Computing Georgia Institute of Technology hhamilton@gatech.edu

Tech newsletter: Subscribe to receive the next editions[change]

Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by Global message deliveryContributeTranslateGet helpGive feedbackUnsubscribe • 21:10, 20 May 2013 (UTC)
Important note: This is the first edition of the Tech News weekly summaries, which help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians.

If you want to continue to receive the next issues every week, please subscribe to the newsletter. You can subscribe your personal talk page and a community page like this one. The newsletter can be translated into your language.

You can also become a tech ambassador, help us write the next newsletter and tell us what to improve. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. guillom 21:10, 20 May 2013 (UTC)

Trademark discussion[change]

Hi, apologies for posting this in English, but I wanted to alert your community to a discussion on Meta about potential changes to the Wikimedia Trademark Policy. Please translate this statement if you can. We hope that you will all participate in the discussion; we also welcome translations of the legal team’s statement into as many languages as possible and encourage you to voice your thoughts there. Please see the Trademark practices discussion (on Meta-Wiki) for more information. Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF) (talk)

X!'s Edit Counter[change]

Universal Language Selector will be enabled on 2013-07-09[change]

Expansion of HydrizBot's scope[change]

Since 2011, HydrizBot has been patiently working behind the scenes in updating all our entries with new interwiki links. It has worked well and has now became the second dominant player on (all of) Wiktionary as a bot. Now as the bot's operator, I am requesting the community to approve of a new task - adding of audio files to entries. This is the job of DerbethBot, but it has recently became inactive and I believe it would be best to have someone that is from the community to take over that task. This new task will use the exact same software as DerbethBot (source).

If there is no opposition to this request within seven (7) days, I assume that this task has been approved and will begin running the bot after that. Thank you. --Hydriz (talk) 13:39, 8 July 2013 (UTC)

I didn't check the source code, but a quick look (via popups) at some of DerbethBot's contribs shows that it seems to have been working correctly, and was very helpful, so approving your bot to do the same now that the other has stopped seems quite reasonable. P.S. Does a 'crat need to approve the task? πr2 (talk • changes) 04:17, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
(change conflict) This seems reasonable. The bot has also stopped on the English Wiktionary, and the operator isn't very active crosswiki anymore.  Hazard-SJ  ✈  04:23, 10 July 2013 (UTC)
Yes, thank you for your comments. I have did some test edits with this bot a few weeks ago and have reviewed every single edit correctly. There is no problem with it and will be taking care of bugs that arises (hopefully nothing breaks though) --Hydriz (talk) 09:55, 10 July 2013 (UTC)

To make something clear, new tasks need to be approved by a crat, so I simply dislike one thing here... "If there is no opposition to this request within seven (7) days, I assume that this task has been approved and will begin running the bot after that." - That's something for what bots on other wiki may be blocked.

However, that task is useful and if the bot works correctly, I'm happy to Yes check.svgY approve that new task. -Barras talk 11:17, 13 July 2013 (UTC)

Thanks for this. My original intent for that sentence is in anticipation that no bureaucrat was available (which was why I applied to be one earlier). The fluctuating involvement in managing the wiki can sometimes mean that tasks (in certain cases urgent) can go unhandled for quite a while. Since you approved of this task, I have started preparations for its launch. --Hydriz (talk) 13:59, 13 July 2013 (UTC)

New[change]

Hi there. I am new to this wiki and I would like some help on how I can help improve this wiki. Any questions? ~ curtaintoad ~~ talk ~ 09:48, 12 July 2013 (UTC)

"Would"[change]

how are you? how to use would in english

hello. See this page: would. If you want more detailed explanation, try Google. If you want meaning in Kannada, I can't help - sorry. πr2 (talk • changes) 03:02, 12 July 2013 (UTC)

Sandbox[change]

Are sandboxes are allowed in Wiktionary? --Take a trip with Rani Rani 20:52, 14 July 2013 (UTC)

Yes. You may also create a sandbox in your own user space. See also: Sandbox. --~ curtaintoad ~~ talk ~ 06:31, 15 July 2013 (UTC)