Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophone(s): heart (in some dialects)
- If something is hard, it is not soft.
- I kicked the wall and hurt my foot. The wall is hard.
- If something is hard, it takes a lot of work to do or understand.
- Only two people passed the test because it was so hard.
- If something is hard, it is sudden and sharp.
- He took a hard hit to his arm.
- If a drink is hard, it is strong.
- Hard liquor
- If something is hard, it cannot be questioned; it is not questionable.
- Hard evidence
- If someone is hard, they are severe; they are unfriendly.
- (not soft): firm, resistant, inflexible, solid
- (not easy): difficult, uneasy, challenging, tricky, tough
- (sudden and sharp): sudden, sharp
- (not questionable): unquestionable, indubitable
- (severe): severe, harsh, brutal, unfriendly
- (of drink): strong
- (not soft): soft, flexible
- (not easy): easy, simple, a breeze
- (sudden and sharp): slow
- (severe): agreeable, friendly, nice, pleasant
Terms related to hard
- If something is done hard, it is done with a lot of effort.
- He works hard, all day and all night.
- (countable) (nautical) A hard is a beach or slope that is firm that is a good place to take a boat out of the water.