- If you make something shorter or divide it in pieces, you cut it.
- To hurt with a blade.
- I cut my hand.
- To stop something.
- They cut the electricity.
- To edit, shorten, or censor (a film).
- Antonym: lengthen
- The film was cut by ten minutes.
- (computers) If you remove something to put it somewhere else, you cut it.
- Antonym: paste
- (film) If the picture changes from one scene to another, the scene cuts to another.
Related words and phrases[change]
- box cutter
- cut a rug
- cut back
- cut down
- cut in
- cut loose
- cut off
- cut out
- cut through
- cut up
- paper cut
- (countable) A scratch, opening in the skin or a surface.
- She had a cut on her arm.
- (countable) A reduction; lessening.
- Antonyms: hike, increase, augment, augmentation, boost, growth, proliferation, spread, expansion and multiplication
- There was a cut in prices.
- (countable) A small piece removed by cutting is a cut.
- I will take a cut of beef.