- Hyphenation: de‧crease
(transitive & intransitive)
- If something decreases, it goes down in number or value.
- The Australian dollar has decreased 3% against the Euro.
- The government has decreased the amount of money it gives to schools.
- increase (verb)
- A decrease happens when the number or value of something goes down.
- There has been a 3% decrease in the Australian dollar against the Euro.
- Every year we see a larger decrease in the number of students studying foreign languages.
- increase (noun)