Decline is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (intransitive) If something declines, it goes down in number, quality, slope, or value.
- The Australian dollar has declined 3% against the Euro.
- The number of students studying foreign languages continues to decline.
- (transitive & intransitive) If someone declines an offer, they do not accept it.
- We asked Josh to come with us to the restaurant, but he declined.
- A decline happens when the number, quality, slope, or value of something goes down.
- There has been a 3% decline in the Australian dollar against the Euro.
- Every year we see a larger decline in the number of students studying foreign languages.
- A decline is a hill or line that goes down.
- The truck crashed after picking up too much speed on the decline.