Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA (key): /ʃɔːt/, SAMPA: /SO:t/
- (US) enPR: shôrt, IPA (key): /ʃɔrt/, SAMPA: /SOrt/
- (AU) (NZ) IPA (key): /ʃoːt/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- If something is short then there is a small distance from the bottom to the top. The opposite is tall.
- If something is short then there is a small distance from the one end to the other. The opposite is long.
- If something is short then it takes a little time.
- If you cut something short, you end it before the planned time.
- They cut short their vacation when the weather changed.
- Short of
- Nothing short of help from god will save him.
- Short of giving them the answers, there's nothing we can do.
- If you're running short of something, you don't have enough.
- We're running short of time, so can you hurry up?
- If something is short of it's target, it isn't all the way there.
- The plane touched down just short of the landing area.