- start is part of the Basic English 850.
- The beginning of something in place or time.
- We went back to the start.
- A movement in reaction to surprise.
- I surprised him and he gave a start.
- A surprise, often not pleasant.
- She gave him quite a start.
- (beginning) beginning, outset, square one, drawing board, introduction
- (movement) jump
- (surprise) surprise, scare
- To begin; to do something for the first time.
- They started the race in first place.
- To make a machine begin to work.
- I will start the car.
- To move in surprise.
- When I touched his arm, he started.
- (begin) begin, introduce
- (make a machine begin to work) start up, turn on, initialize
- (move in surprise) flinch
- (begin) end, finish, terminate, complete, finalize, conclude
- (make a machine begin to work) shut down, turn off, cut