- book is part of the Basic English 850.
- (countable) A book is a lot of paper joined together with writing and pictures printed on them for you to read or write in.
- I borrow books from the library, and keep them in a bookcase.
- (countable) A book is a group of stamps, matches, tickets, etc., held together inside a paper cover.
- (plural) A company's books, are its money records.
- An outside accountant kept the books and signed the checks until he joined the company.
- (transitive) If you book something or someone, you reserve them for a certain time.
- I want to book a hotel room for tomorrow night.
- I can book tickets for the concert next week.
- (transitive) (law) If you book someone, you someone officially put their name in police records for a crime.
- Synonym: record
- The police booked him for driving too fast.