Jump to navigation Jump to search
- enPR: rīt, IPA (key): /raɪt/
- SAMPA: /r\aIt/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK) (file)
- Homophones: right, rite, wright
- (transitive & intransitive) If you write a book, an article, a computer program, a piece of music, etc., you create it.
- My dream is to write a children's book.
- Mozart wrote over 600 pieces of music during his lifetime.
- He can't write. He's a terrible writer.
- In the article, the author writes that these things need to change.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you write, you use letters, numbers, or other marks on paper or on a computer to show words.
- Can you write your name and phone number here for me?
- Our teacher taught us to write beautifully.
- It's amazing how many people can't read and write.
- Do you have any paper to write on?
- Listen to what I say and write it down.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you write, you send a letter to someone.
- Please, phone or write me when you have some time.
- She would write to Mom every week and give her all the details.
- (transitive & intransitive) (computer) If a computer writes, it records something in its memory or on a disk.
- Old computers were much slower at writing files.