Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK, Australia) enPR: fīə(r), IPA: /faɪə(ɹ)/, SAMPA: /faI@(r)/
- (US) enPR: fīr, IPA: /faɪɚ/, SAMPA: /faI@`/
Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable) A chemical reaction that makes heat and flames or smouldering.
- (countable) Something that has made or can make this chemical reaction, such as a campfire.
- We sat around the fire singing songs and telling stories.
- (countable) The, often accidental, occurrence of fire in a certain place which leads to its full or partial destruction.
- There was a fire at the school last night and the whole place burned down.
- (uncountable); (alchemy) One of the four basic elements.
- (India and Japan) One of the five basic elements.
- (transitive) To set something on fire.
- (transitive) To shoot (a gun, cannon or a similar weapon).
- We will fire our guns at the enemy.
- (intransitive) To shoot a gun, cannon or a similar weapon.
- Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes.
- To end the employment of an employee because of something they did wrong.
- She should fire the employee that stole from the company.
- He got fired from his job.