- (UK) (AU) enPR: fīə(r), IPA (key): /faɪə(r)/, SAMPA: /faI@(r)/
- (US) enPR: fīr, IPA (key): /faɪɚ/, SAMPA: /faI@`/
Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable) A chemical reaction that makes heat and flames or smoldering.
- (countable) Something that has made or can make this chemical reaction, such as a campfire.
- We sat around the fire singing songs and telling stories.
- (countable) The, often accidental, occurrence of fire in a certain place which leads to its full or partial destruction.
- There was a fire at the school last night and the whole place burned down.
- (uncountable); (alchemy) One of the four basic elements.
- (India) (Japan) One of the five basic elements.
- (transitive) If an employee is fired, their employment is ended because of something they did.
- She should fire the guy who stole that stuff.
- He got fired from his job.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you fire a gun, cannon or a similar weapon, you shoot it.
- We will fire our guns at the enemy.
- Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes.