Draft is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable) A draft is a piece of writing which has been or may be edited.
- In the first draft of the story the characters names are all different.
- Check final drafts for misspellings, using a dictionary or computer spelling checker.
- (countable) A draft is when the military or a sport team chooses its members.
- Many Americans moved to Canada to avoid the draft during the war.
- The Tigers' first choice in yesterday's draft was pitcher George Berlin.
- (uncountable) (US) Depth of water needed to float a ship; depth below the water line to the bottom of a vessel's hull. (UK spelling: draught)
- The ship had a draft of 6 feet.
- (uncountable) (US) Draft is beer that is served from a large container called a keg. (UK spelling: draught)
- (countable) (US) A draft is a wind that blows inside a building. (UK spelling: draught)
- Close the window! That cold draft is making me sneeze.
- (transitive) If you draft a letter, memo, agreement, etc., you write one that has been or may be edited.
- You should have the contract drafted by a lawyer.
- (transitive) If a state drafts someone, it chooses them to be in the military.
- I was drafted when I was 20 and spent two years fighting in France.
- (transitive) If a team drafts someone, it chooses them to play on the team.