- (transitive & intransitive) If you switch something, you change it to something else.
- He switched his book with mine.
- We switched to a cheaper brand of coffee.
- When they didn't seem to understand, he switched to French.
- Jump ten times, switch legs and repeat.
- I just switched jobs, and at my new job I don't have insurance.
- When his team was losing, he switched sides.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you switch a light or machine on, you change something so that it has power and can work.
- She sat up in bed and switched on the light.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you switch a light or machine off, you change something so that it doesn't have power and can't work.
- I switched off the computer and went to bed.
- (intransitive) If you switch over to something, you change to it, often with no plan to change back to the first thing.
- We used to watch CNN, but we've switched over to BBC World News.
- It was difficult when I switched over from writing to acting.
- (transitive) If you switch gears, you change the way you think or act to match a particular situation.
- When I come home from work, it takes me a while to switch gears.
- (intransitive) If you switch with somebody, you do something that they usually do and they do the thing that you usually do.
- Sibyl couldn't work on Tuesday, so I switched with her.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you switch a machine to a particular setting or function, you set it to work that way.
- She switched the TV to another channel.
- She switched the plane to automatic pilot.
- (countable) A switch is what you use to turn lights or other machines and equipment on and off.
- The light switch is on the wall behind the door.
- Where's the on/off switch on this printer?
- (countable) A switch is a change from one thing to another.
- It's often difficult for older people to make the switch to living alone.
- (countable) A switch is a place on the track where trains can chose between two tracks.
- (countable) (technology) A switch is a networking device that connects networks together by sending data (packets) only to the devices that need them.
- A switch is a thin stick.
a switch in the train tracks