Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA (key): /ˈfʌŋk.ʃən/
- SAMPA: /"fVNkS@n/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: func‧tion
- (countable & uncountable) Something or someone's function is its purpose or its job.
- The army sometimes performs a policing function.
- (countable) A function is an organised event.
- I met Sylvia at a church function last week.
- (countable) If is a function of , then exists because of or is affected by
- The speed of the computer is a function of its main processor.
- When you see, , you read it, " is a function of ". Here the value of depends on the value assigned to the variable .
- (intransitive) If something is functioning, it is working and is not completely broken.
- Her heart stopped, but her brain continued to function.
- (intransitive) If something functions as , it does the job of .
- In this sentence, "sentence" functions as the subject.
- This short entry needs someone to make it better. You can help Wiktionary by adding to it.