- (uncountable) Gear is clothing and other equipment, especially in sports.
- Hurry up and get your gear on. The game's about to start.
- (countable) Gears are wheels that turn and drive other wheels at different speeds.
- One of the gears from the motor had got stuck and wouldn't turn.
- (countable); (singular often used without a determiner) A gear in a machine, especialy a car or bicycle, is a particular combinations of gears.
- He put the car into gear and drove off.
- This bike has 24 gears, but I only use three.
- Shifting into fourth gear, she pushed the car over 100 km/h.
- (countable); (singular often used without a determiner) A gear is a speed or level that you do something at.
- Everyone was working at high gear to finish before the deadline.