- account is part of the Basic English 850.
- (countable) An account is an arrangement with a bank or other company to do business.
- I opened a bank account when I moved into town.
- The internet company cancelled my e-mail account.
- (countable) The records of the money that is paid or received. (often plural)
- The accounts show that your bill has already been paid.
- (countable) A description of events
- The account that he gave didn't match the story that was in the newspaper.
- (uncountable) If you take something into account, you think about it when you decide something.
- Effective leaders have to take account of everyone's feelings.
- on account of
- by all accounts Also from all accounts
- on somebody's account
- on your own account
- on no account
- bring somebody to account Also call somebody to account
- give a good/poor account of yourself
- of little/no account
- (intransitive) If accounts for some part of , makes up that part of .
- Payments to employees account for 73% of our budget.
- (intransitive) If accounts for , it explains why happens or exists.
- Oh, she was sick. Well, that accounts for her poor test score.