- enPR: wīnd, IPA (key): /waɪnd/
- SAMPA: /waInd/
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophones: whined, wined (in accents with the wine-whine merger)
- (countable & uncountable) Wind is the moving air.
- If you wind something you wrap it around and make it tight.
- If you wind a clock or watch you tighten a spring inside it. This is done by turning knob. The spring powers the clock or watch as it unwinds (stops being tight).
- If something winds it twists around in different directions.
- The road winds for miles.
- If something winds down, it runs out of power and gets slower. (Like a watch that is unwinding.)
- How something winds up is how it becomes in the end or after something happens.
- I wound up lost after I made the wrong turn.