Gender is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- Synonym: sex
- (countable & uncountable) A living thing's gender is its sex: male (man, boy), female (woman, girl), both, or neither.
- There are gender differences in everything from physical size to play style.
- The effects vary considerably according to such factors as class, race and gender.
- (countable & uncountable); (grammar) Gender is a way of grouping nouns in some languages, for example: masculine, feminine & neuter.
- In French, the gender affects everything from the choice of le or la to the adjective endings.
- (psychology) Someone's gender is whether they behave like a boy or girl. This is called masculine or feminine, and not the same as male or female.
- His gender was not traditional, he was a very feminine boy.
- The gender of a cord, cable, or plug tells how it connects. If it has a hole (a socket) that can be plugged into, it is female. If it plugs into a hole, it is male.
- The microphone was the wrong gender for the computer's sound card.