- An expectation is something you think is going to happen (something you expect to happen).
- Zeke's mother had every expectation that he would go to university after high school. So she was surprised when he told her he was joining the military instead.
- The doctors told me, "Our expectations are that these tests will not show any serious problems. But we want to do them anyway just to be safe."
- An expectation is something that a person is supposed to do, has to do, or needs to do.
- After Latasha forgot to pay her Internet bill, the Internet company told her: "Our expectation is that you will pay on time in the future."
- His parents' expectations were that Kyle would clean his room, make his bed, and make dinner every night.
- If you do something in expectation, you do it while waiting for something to happen (you are expecting something).
- Before they were married, Bill would wait by the telephone for hours every night in expectation of Monica's next call.
- As soon as she was served the chocolate-covered strawberries, her mouth began to water in expectation of how good they would taste.