- (UK) IPA (key): /bɑː/, SAMPA: /bA:/
- (US) enPR: /bär/, IPA (key): /bɑr/, SAMPA: /bAr/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK) (file)
- A bar is a place that sells alcoholic drinks.
- I'm going to drink beer at the bar.
- A bar is the counter or bench in a hotel or bar where drinks are sold.
- A bar is a box-shaped piece of something.
- You can buy a bar of soap, or a bar of gold.
- A bar is a long, hard thing that looks like a stick.
- The prisoner was kept behind bars in the jail.
three green bars
a monkey behind the bars of a cage
- To bar is to stop someone from doing something; to prohibit.
- I was barred from entering the club.
- To bar is to lock a door or window, or to block it so others can not enter.
- I barred the door to stop her leaving the room.
- except; not including
- He's the fastest runner in the world bar none.