Jump to navigation Jump to search
- If something is in advance of something else, it is before it.
- (countable) An advance is a move forward.
- The advances in technology will be amazing in the next decade or so.
- Despite exciting advances, doctors still have a poor understanding of many diseases.
- The army made significant military advances in Iraq.
- He improper sexual advances toward her when she was his assistant.
- Advances outnumbered declines 1,631 to 1,177 on the New York Stock Exchange.
- (countable) An advance is an amount of money given to someone before they normally get it.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you advance something, you bring or move it forward.
- In separate attacks, the Khmer Rouge was advancing toward Siem Reap, 200 miles northwest of Phnom Penh.
- After winning 1-0, Morocco has a chance to advance to the second round.
- This research advances our understanding of the disease.
- The technology has advanced far beyond the early days of computer beeps and fuzzy graphics.
- (transitive) If you advance someone some money, you pay it to them before they would normally get it.
- They advanced her $12,000 against future earnings.