Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive) If you raise something you make it higher; that is you move it up.
- I need to raise the car off the ground to fix it from below.
- Raise your hand if you know the answer.
- (transitive) If you raise children or animals, you care for them until they have grown up (become adults).
- (transitive) If you raise food (plants or animals) you grow it on a farm. This is also used for plants that are not food, like cotton or tobacco.
- (transitive) If you raise a number, you make it bigger.
- (transitive) If you raise an idea you start talking about it.
- Why did you have to raise the issue of abortion?
- (transitive) If you raise somebody in gambling, you make a bigger bet.
- (transitive) If someone raises the dead they make dead people alive again.
- Jesus is said to have raised the dead.