- (countable) A pound is a unit of currency used in Britain.
- Against the dollar, the pound fell by half a cent to $ 1.73.
- (countable) A pound is a unit of weight equal to 16 ounces or 0.454 kilograms.
- Since he stopped smoking, he has gained 20 pounds.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you pound something, you hit it hard.
- Grace pounded on the door. "Come out of there!"
- He pounded his hand against the desk and jumped up.
- (intransitive) If your head or heart is pounding, you can feel the blood moving through it.
- I ran and ran until my heart was pounding in my chest.
- After the party, my head was pounding and I had to lie down.