Jump to navigation Jump to search
Negative is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- If something is negative, it is harmful, sad, or otherwise not good.
- You can believe or not believe, that there's a positive and negative side to everything.
- If a word, sentence, answer, etc. is negative, it uses a word like no, not, never, etc.
- Can't is the negative form of can.
- If someone is a negative person or has a negative attitude, they mainly think about bad things.
- Her negative attitudes were the result of a hard life.
- We were all depressed by his negative comments.
- If a test result is negative, the test did not find what it was testing for.
- There's nothing to worry about. The HIV test is negative.
- (technical) A negative electrical charge is one carried by an electron.
- Attach the wire to the negative pole of the battery.
- A negative number or value is less than zero.
- A positive number multiplied by a negative number results in a negative.
- The Celsius scale of temperature is not absolute since negative values are possible.
- (psychology) A negative symptom is one where something is missing. Usually this is for schizophrenia.
- His negative symptoms included not speaking and not showing emotion.
- Based on something not being there, not being true, or being reversed, in some other way.
- I tie-bleached my shirt to make a negative image, then tie-dyed it to add a positive image.
- There were negative rules, telling us what not to do, as well as positive ones telling us what to do.
- (countable) A negative is a photographic image with reversed colours (e.g., black instead of white).
- Prints are then made from the negatives, and in the case of the B&W I may either tint or tone the final print.
- (countable) A negative is a word, sentence, answer, etc. that means no.
- When I asked if we could go next week, the answer was a negative.
- (countable) A negative is something that is harmful, sad, or otherwise not good.
- Right now in Korea there is a negative connected with anything Japanese.
- (countable) A negative is a test result that did not find what it was testing for.
- In out test group there were 20 negatives and only one positive.
- (countable); (photography) A negative is a small picture with the colors inverted. Negatives are made on film, then photographs are made from the negatives.
- We saved the negatives and used to make more pictures later.