Reverse is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you reverse something, you make it act or move opposite to before (in the other direction).
- The new president reversed the decision to expand the factory.
- There were many new jobs in the early 90s, but then the cycle was completely reversed, and thousands of people were out of work.
- She reversed the car into the parking space.
- When my mom got sick, our roles were reversed and I began to care for her.
- Now reverse your position by raising your right hand and lowering your left.
- The reverse of something is its opposite.
- Female professors are often married to male professors, but the reverse is not as common.
- In a machine, reverse is a setting that makes it act or move opposite to before.
- As the plane landed, the engines went into reverse, helping us to stop.
- When the Chinese started selling cars, the Japanese automobile industry went into rapid reverse.
- The reverse of something is it's other side.
- Details can be found on the reverse of this paper.