Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (countable) A major change, problem, event, etc. is a big and important one.
- We expected the change to cause a lot of problems, but in the end it wasn't as major as we had thought.
- Tom Cruise had a major part in the movie. He directed it and acted in it as the main character.
- (music) A major musical scale is the usual scale for music in western culture. The major scale starts two notes above the minor and more often sounds happy.
- That music could be D minor or F major.
- (countable) A major is a subject area that is the main study of a student at a college or university.
- My major is Speech-Language Pathology, which is about problems people may have with talking.
- (countable) A major is a military rank between captain and lieutenant-colonel.
- (countable) A major is a person of the legal age of majority.
- (person of legal age): minor
- major key
- major chord
- major general / major-general
- major league / major-league