Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA: /ˈkæp.tɪn/ or /-tən/
- (US)(AU) IPA: /ˈkæp.tən/
- (naval, informal) IPA: /ˈkæp.ən/ or [ˈkæpn̩] or [ˈkæpm̩]
Audio (US) (file)
- (countable) A captain is a rank in the army between lieutenant and major.
- (countable) A captain is a rank in the navy between commander and commodore.
- (countable) A captain is the person who is in charge of a ship or airplane.
- The captain is the last to abandon ship.
- The captain said to put on your seat belts because of turbulence.
- (countable) A captain is the person who makes all of the decisions on a sports' team.
- (countable) A captain is the leader of a group of workers.
- (intransitive) To act as a captain.
- (transitive) To be in command and use that command on a ship, airplane, or sports team.