Debate is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
Audio (US) (file)
- (countable & uncountable) A debate is an exchange of ideas looking at different sides of an issue.
- We will explore this idea through an analysis of the public debate on marriage and divorce.
- The government's spending programme is the subject of much heated debate.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you debate something, you consider its positive and negative points, often by talking with other people in a formal situation such as government.
- The AHA had in fact been debating the issue of the future of the hospital for some years.
- Few subjects are more hotly debated in curriculum committees.