Jump to navigation Jump to search
- dear is part of the Basic English 850.
- (UK) IPA (key): /dɪə/, SAMPA: /dI@/
- (US) IPA (key): /dɪr/, SAMPA: /dIr/
Audio (US) (file)
- Homophone(s): deer
- Dear is something that is precious or greatly valued to someone. They love the thing or the person.
- My large stamp collection is very dear to me.
- Dear George, Thank you for your letter of August 1.
- Dear is something very expensive. It has a higher price; costs a lot of money.
- That diamond ring is too dear -- we can't buy it.