Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA (key): /'bʌtən/
- SAMPA: /"bVt.@n/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: but‧ton
- (countable) A button is a round object that can be pushed through clothing so that the clothing stays on.
- Sarah's sweater doesn't work anymore because the buttons popped off.
- (countable) A button is a switch that is turned on by pressing it.
- I pressed the button to turn on the television.
- (US) (countable) A button is a badge that can be worn of clothing and is put onto the clothing with a pin to hold it in place.
- I have a "Vote for Bush" button.
- (poker) (uncountable) If a poker player has the button, he is the last person to act on that hand.
Buttons for clothing
A button switch