Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA (key): /ˈbʌtə/, SAMPA: /"bVt.@/
- (US) enPR: bŭtʹər, IPA (key): /ˈbʌɾ.ɚ/, SAMPA: /"bV4.@`/
Audio (UK) (file) Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable) Butter is a firm yellow substance that is made from milk spread on bread or used in cooking.
- Please pass the butter.
- Melt some butter in a fry pan, and then add the eggs.
- If you keep the butter in the fridge, it's too hard to put on bread.
- (uncountable) A bread and butter issue, is a basic and important one.
- If we want to win this election, we need to focus on bread and butter issues like jobs.
- (uncountable) Your bread and butter is the work that you do most and that earns you the most money.
- Fixing shoes used to be our bread and butter, but today, nobody gets their shoes fixed.
- If you butter something, you put butter on it.
- Would you like me to butter your toast for you?