Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) When you fasten a belt, a coat, a bag, etc., you join the two sides of it so it is closed.
- Synonym: do up
- Please remain seated with your seat belts fastened.
- She fastened the gold chain around her neck.
- He fastened the top button of his shirt and chose a tie.
- (transitive) If you fasten one thing to another, you attach them.
- The blackboard had been fastened to the front wall for years.
- The paper was fastened together with tape.
- (transitive) If you fasten your eyes or gaze on something, you look at it carefully without looking away.
- The boy's eyes were fastened on the TV.
- (intransitive) If something won't fasten, its buttons or hooks won't join.
- The shirt was so small that the buttons wouldn't fasten.