Jump to navigation Jump to search
- over is part of the Basic English 850.
- (UK) IPA (key): /ˈəʊ.və(r)/, SAMPA: /"@U.v@(r\)/
- (US) IPA (key): /ˈoʊ.vɚ/, SAMPA: /"oU.v@`/
Audio (US) (file)
- Something is over when it has finished, usually referring to an event.
- When the movie was over we left the movie theater.
- In a location above something.
- He stepped over the dog.
- From one side to the other.
- They went over the bridge.
- If you invite someone over, you invite them to your house.
- They had him over for tea.
- (mathematics) A number divided by another.
- Eight over two is four.
- (sports) (countable) An over in a cricket match is six balls bowled from one end.
- The captain told me I would have to bowl the next over.