Offset is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (transitive) If offsets , the loss (because) of is balanced by .
- The school will provide limited scholarships to offset the cost of tuition.
- Increases in efficiency partially offset the increased costs.
- The few problems are more than offset by the relatively large number of successes.
- (transitive) If you offset against , you compare of contrast them.
- All this solid colour is offset by the tiny yellow green flowers.
- The past tense and past participle of offset.
- (countable) An offset is something that balances (the loss of) something else.
- (uncountable) (technical) A particular way of printing where the ink moves from surface A to B and then from B to the final C.
- (countable); (technical) The image produced by this kind of printing.
- (countable & uncountable); (technical) An offset is the distance that something moves away from where it is supposed to be or where it was.