Contrast is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
Audio (US) (file)
- (countable & uncountable) Contrasts are the differences you find when you compare something or someone.
- When comparing English and Japanese, there are many contrasts but also a large number of similarities.
- Married life is a sharp contrast to the life of a single person.
- contrast with
- contrast between
- in contrast (to/with)
- by contrast (to/with)
- (transitive) If you contrast two things, you look for or explain the differences between them.
- It's difficult not to contrast the good things he says with the terrible way he acts.