Jump to navigation Jump to search
Odd is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- If something is odd, it is not normal and usually you don't like it or don't understand it.
- The neighbours thought him very odd, because he would leave his doors open all night.
- She liked him, but there was something odd about the way he spoke.
- (usually before a noun) The odd time, drink, problem, etc. is one that happens sometimes, but not often.
- I don't really drink--just the odd beer at the weekend.
- (usually before a noun) An odd sock, boot, etc. is one without its pair.
- The clown was wearing odd socks.
- An odd number is one that does not divide evenly by 2 (e.g., 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc.)
- A count of (number)-odd is just a little more than the number.
- I've got fifty-odd students in the class.