Jump to navigation Jump to search
- You use even to focus on the most surprising or unlikely case.
- With preposition phrases:
- Even in peaceful countries, there are problems.
- She felt a lot of pain walking even though she was only in her thirties.
- They told us the manager isn't there, even though we can see her through the window.
- Even if they don't know you, they will still talk to you.
- I never liked chocolate, not even when I was young.
- Even with Denver's slow start, they are likely to win.
- With noun phrases:
- Everyone walks to school here, even the teachers.
- Not even the world's fastest runner can run that fast.
- Even a quick look tells you there's a lot to learn.
- Anyone with even basic internet search skills can find you.
- With adjective phrases:
- She didn't tell me about it and I expect she wasn't even aware of it.
- This is not a small problem, and it will likely become even more important in the near future.
- I just hope I don't get lost, and I'm not even really sure of my bus number.
- The last few years have been difficult, but now she may face an even greater challenge.
- It will be very difficult for him, even dangerous.
- With verb phrases:
- Our progress was not rewarded. In fact, it was not even mentioned.
- I don't even know who you are.
- It's so cheap, you don't even have to bring money.
- He can't even go back and look for it.
- We might even make some money if we work hard.
- With adverb phrases (rarely):
- He won't lose his job, not even temporarily.
- With so:
- I hid it in the books where nobody would look. Even so, I worried about it all evening.
- If things are even, the top or surface of each is as high as the others.
- If a number is even, it can be divided into 2 equal parts.
- 2, 4, 6 and 8 are even numbers. 1, 3, 5 and 7 are not even numbers; they are odd numbers.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you even something (out/up), you reduce the ups and downs; you make it smooth or equal.
- Synonym: smooth
- India was leading 2-1, but Australia evened the score in the last minute.
- The makeup evens out your skin tone without adding color.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you even a problem out, you solve it.
- Synonym: solve
- I went down and evened it all out. Everyone's happy now.