Occupation is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable) An occupation is a job or a career.
- Nursing has been described as a skilled occupation rather than a profession.
- (countable & uncountable) An occupation is when a people, especially an army, take over and stay in a country, area, building, etc.
- Synonym: occupancy
- Everything he owned was taken during the German occupation of Paris in 1940.
- The areas under occupation contained rich farm lands as well as the industrialised sectors of Russian Poland.
- The house on the hill had no lights and no signs of occupation.
- (countable) An occupation is a hobby or something else that you do to pass the time.
- Synonym: pastime
- Her favorite occupation is reading.