Infrastructure is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable & uncountable) A place's infrastructure is the basic public works such as roads, electricity & water supply, and schools, that allow it to function.
- The construction of the BAM railway will provide an infrastructure for exports to Japan and the US.
- The new bridge will be one of Europe's largest ever infrastructure projects.
- (countable & uncountable) The infrastructure is the basic ideas and systems that support an organisation or a project.
- The hardware-software system provides an infrastructure for messaging applications across the company.