Jump to navigation Jump to search
Indicate is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (transitive) If someone indicates something, they point it out or they point to it; they bring your attention to something.
- Brian indicated to his girlfriend the restaurant they were going to on the map.
- He indicated on the map how to get to the police station.
- (transitive) If someone indicates something, they show signs of something; they show it.
- A driver has to turn on the signal in order to indicated that he will turn right.
- The shaking of his body indicated to the audience that he was nervous about performing in front of them.
- Jake's nervous expression on his face indicated that he knew more about the topic than he said already.
- (transitive) If something indicates something, it shows it through measurements; it makes something known.
- The turn signal indicates that a driver will turn.
- The thermostat on the wall indicates that the air conditioning is on in the house.
- Dark clouds indicate rain is coming.
- (transitive) If someone indicate something, they express it, usually in a short or general way; they signal it.
- Hailey indicated that she was sick to her friends, but would not say any more about it.
- (transitive), (medicine) If a symptom indicates something, it points out a remedy that would help to cure that symptom.
- (point it out): direct
- (shows signs of something): show, reveal, predict
- (shows through measurements): show, reveal, specify
- (express it): express, signal