- (UK) (US) IPA (key): /ˈd͡ʒɛnrəl/
- (US) IPA (key): /ˈd͡ʒɛnərəl/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: gene‧ral, gen‧er‧al
- Usual; about most things. An idea is a general idea if it's about many things or about most things, not just about one specific thing.
- First I will talk about general problems of farming, and then I will talk about the specific problems of wheat farming.
- In general, I enjoy pizza.
- General is approximate, not exact; maybe a little different; close but maybe not the same.
- (countable) A general is the leader of an army.
- The president told the general to bring the army home.