Compound is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
audio (US) (file)
- (countable) A compound is a material made of a number of other materials.
- The new chemical compound has far less smell than the original substance.
- There is a group of gases that do not easily form chemical compounds.
- (countable) A compound is a mixture.
- The new CD is a compound of North American rock music and Middle Eastern religious songs.
- (countable) A compound is a group of buildings surrounded by a fence or wall.
- (transitive) If something is compounded, it is added to.
- Her troubles were now compounded by the rain.
- (transitive) If interest is compounded, it is paid on earlier interest payments.
- Interest is compounded monthly.