Jump to navigation Jump to search
- interest is part of the Basic English 850.
- (countable) When someone wants to know more about something or likes to do something, we say the person has an interest in it.
- She has a strong interest in art. She is going to go to an art school.
- What are your interests?
- (countable) When something is important to a person, or if good things happening to the thing are good for the person, we say that the person has an interest in the thing.
- Because I own a house on this street, I have an interest in keeping the street clean.
- I'm doing this to look after my own interests.
- (uncountable) When someone borrows money, they have to give back more money than they borrowed. The extra money they have to pay is called interest.
- If someone is interested, they are curious and want to find out about something.
- I am interested in researching flowers.
- Does maths interest you?