Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA (key): /ˈrʌbɪʃ/
- (US) IPA (key): /ˈrʌbɪʃ/ or /ˈrə-/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (AU) (file)
- Hyphenation: rub‧bish
- (uncountable) Rubbish is unwanted things such as plastic bags, half-eaten food, and broken toys.
- Antonym: treasure
- She's always throwing her left-over food on the ground, and not in the rubbish bin.
- People drive by and dump all manner of rubbish.
- (uncountable), (slang) Rubbish is a stupid or wrong idea.
- You're going to sing? Rubbish! Total rubbish! You can't sing.
- Oh, I don't watch TV. It's a load of rubbish.
- He was tired and angry and didn't want to listen to his friend talking rubbish.
- (transitive) If you rubbish something, you say it's bad or stupid.
- It's not very good, but I didn't want to completely rubbish it.