Jump to navigation Jump to search
- IPA (key): /ˌrɛvəˈl(j)uːʃən/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (UK) (file)
- Hyphenation: re‧vo‧lu‧tion
- (countable) A revolution is a sudden significant change.
- The Industrial Revolution began when machines were able to make things quicker and cheaper than people.
- In the 1960s, you had the women's revolution, the sexual revolution, and all sorts of change.
- (countable) A revolution is a war against the government by the country's own people.
- There was a revolution in France in 1789.
- (countable & uncountable) When a wheel turns around once it has made a revolution; going in a circle; turning; revolving.
- The hour hand on the clock makes one revolution in twelve hours.
- (countable) (astronomy) A revolution is when one object (like a planet) goes in a circle around another object (like a star).
- One revolution of Earth is 365 days long. One revolution of Venus is 225 days long.