Revolution is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable) A revolution is a sudden significant change.
- The Industrial Revolution began when machines were able to make things quicker and cheaper than people.
- In the 1960s, you had the women's revolution, the sexual revolution, and all sorts of change.
- (countable) A revolution is a war against the government by the country's own people.
- There was a revolution in France in 1789.
- (countable & uncountable) When a wheel turns around once it has made a revolution; going in a circle; turning; revolving.
- The hour hand on the clock makes one revolution in twelve hours.