Jump to navigation Jump to search
- regular is part of the Basic English 850.
- (usually before the noun) A regular event repeats after a similar amount of time or space.
- Antonym: irregular
- The best way to keep everyone happy is to have regular meetings.
- I call home on a regular basis.
- She lost all that weight through regular exercise.
- He rested at regular intervals throughout the day.
- The staff knows all the regular customers.
- There are rest stops at regular intervals along the trail.
- The colors were arranged in a regular pattern.
- A regular thing is the usual or common one, not special or different.
- They met at their regular time.
- These special students are in regular education classrooms but need extra help.
- This is the last regular-season game before the playoffs.
- Maybe if he acted more like regular people, he wouldn't have these problems.
- I don’t like regular flavor.
- A regular coffee or "coffee, regular" usually means with one milk and one sugar, but it means different things in different places.
- Regular gasoline has an octane rating between 85 and 88.
- Antonym: premium
- The price of regular gas went up about 5 cents a litre over the weekend.
- (grammar) A regular word follows the normal rules for marking tense, number, etc.
- Antonym: irregular
- In English, jump is a regular verb because it's past tense is -ed, but go is irregular.
- (geometry) A regular shape has all angles and all sides equal.
- A stop sign is a regular octagon.
- (not before a noun) If someone is regular, they defecate or menstruate at predictable times.
- (usually before the noun) You say X is a regular Y, to suggest that X is very much like Y in some important way, even though X is not actually Y.
- He's a regular jackass. (he's foolish)
- She's a regular Sherlock Holmes. (she's good at solving mysteries)
- According to his wife, he's a regular Olympian at the little games they play. (he wins all the games)
- (countable) A regular is a customer who comes often.
- He is a regular at the restaurant. He comes every day after work.