Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA (key): /fə.ˈnɒl.ə.dʒi/, SAMPA: /f@"nQl@dZi/
- (US) IPA (key): /fə.ˈnɑl.ə.dʒi/, SAMPA: /f@"nAl@dZi/
- (uncountable) (linguistics) Phonology is the study of the way that sounds (phones) carry meanings in languages (as phonemes).
- Phonetics studies the sounds of human languages, and phonology studies the meanings that those sounds have.
- (countable) (linguistics) The phonology of a language is the set of sounds that have meaning in that language; the set of sounds that can be used to make words.