- A file is a set of papers or records on a specific issue, person, etc.
- The letter should be in the file on the Herzog problem.
- A file is a set of information that can be opened, changed, and saved by a computer program.
- My computer won't read the Word file you e-mailed me last night.
- A file is a place to keep papers organised.
- Can you put this receipt in the file?
- A file is a tool with rough sides that you rub against something to make it smooth.
- A file is a line of people.
- (transitive) If you file papers or documents, you put them away in an organised way in one place.
- I filed the letter under "t" for taxes.
- (transitive) If you file a report or a story, you submit it to your employer or editor.
- What time did you file that story about the car crash?
- (transitive & intransitive) If you file a complaint, you make an official complaint.
- (transitive); (preposition) If people file somewhere, they go there in a line.
- (transitive & intransitive) If you file something, you rub it with a file to make it smooth.
- She went to the store for a manicure, which involves filing and polishing the nails.