Distinction is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable) A distinction is a difference that you have noticed or decided is important. Often used to separate things.
- Before we discuss how you can develop your creative powers, we need to make a distinction between two different but related activities --; THINKING and LEARNING.
- There is, in other words, no neat or clear distinction to be drawn between political equality and social and economic equality.
- (uncountable) If something is done with distinction, it is done to a high level and other people recognise that.
- We only wanted to take athletes of distinction; no one is going just for the trip.