Code is part of the Academic Word List. It is important for students in college and university.
- (countable) A code is a set of rules or laws.
- Children usually learn their parents' moral code.
- Section 244(1) (a) of the Canadian Criminal Code defines assault.
- (countable & uncountable) A code is a way of storing or sending information, often secretly or in a way that is readable by computers.
- Microsoft has also licensed Windows source code to companies such as Citrix Systems.
- In World War II, mathematicians and scientists broke the enemy's secret code.
- (transitive & intransitive) If something is coded, it is written or stored in a code.
- The completed questionnaires were coded by two people.
- The wide variety of proteins in the cells are all coded for by the genes in the nucleus.