Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: un‧der‧stand‧ing
- (countable) A person's understanding of something is what they know or think about it.
- Science helps us to gain a better understanding of natural processes.
- (countable) An understanding is an agreement between two people.
- We had an understanding. You should have fulfilled your end of the bargain.
- (uncountable) Understanding is your ability to understand the feelings of other people.
- Teachers must listen with kindness and understanding to what the young have to say.
- An understanding person is able to easily see how someone else feels.
- Thanks for being so understanding about how emotional and erratic I've been acting lately.
Third person singular
- The present participle of understand.
- Are you understanding what I'm saying?
- I'm having a hard time understanding the calculus homework. Can you help me?